The crossing of the River Alva at the Mucela Bridge

One of the main itineraries that crossed the portuguese territory had origin in the city of Conímbriga, crossing the «Beira Alta» region towards the river Douro, passing in Bobadela, Celorico da Beira (where it crosses the Mondego River), and through the territory of the Civitas Aravorum (Marialva), linked to important crossings of the Douro, one in Quinta de Vesúvio/Sra. da Ribeira and another on Monte Meão/Foz do Sabor (and not for Salamanca as had been said).

This itinerary has been associated to the so called “Estrada da Beira” (Beira Road) that starts in the city Coimbra and links to Celorico da Beira, but the direction of this route clearly indicates that its origin was in Conímbriga and not in Coimbra. A possible branch connecting to Coimbra, although not impossible, does not seem feasible, since the derivations of the route connect not to Coimbra but to fluvial ports in the Mondego (namely Porto da Raiva and Penacova). Although there are tracks on the other bank, these seem to be heading northwest and not towards Coimbra, which further weakens this hypothesis. Inevitably, these tracks end up crossing the route coming from Viseu towards Coimbra, and thus can follow this way that city, but the various inflections in the way are not consistent with the existence of an independent track linking Coimbra to Bobadela.

If there are doubts about the final destinations of the road, the place where the road crossed the River Alva is unanimous, pointing to the area of «Ponte da Mucela», a traditional crossing point since the Middle Ages. In the book Monarquia Lusitana, Fray Francisco Brandão transcribes an inscription that was placed on the medieval bridge, commemorating its construction in 1295, during the reign of King Dinis. However, the identification of some Roman stones that were reused in the medieval construction supports the hypothesis of an earlier Roman bridge, perhaps further downstream, near the Roman settlement of Moura Morta, where the crossing is much easier.

Changes introduced to the route Via Conímbriga – Bobadela at the crossing of the Alva River (red line), near the Roman settlement of Moura Morta and crossing of «Serra do Bidueiro» near the megalithic «mamoa» of S. Pedro Dias.

The settlement is located on a meander of the River Alva, which surrounds the settlement on all sides but the southern side, from where the site was accessed. However, the strong cliffs on the other bank make it impossible to cross at the base of the settlement. However, between this place and the bridge, there is a more favourable area to cross the river, taking advantage of a hump that exists there to start the ascent of the hillside in gentle steps. In fact, the passage through this area might not even require the construction of a bridge, in which case, the Roman ashlars  could have come from the village of Moura Morta itself, which is only about 1 km from the current bridge.

But independently of the question if the existence of a Roman bridge, everything points for the crossing here of the river for the reasons explained above and also because this tracing is in line with the mile sequence between Conímbriga and Bobadela. In fact, the distance from Conímbriga to the Alva River through the proposed route totals 29 miles (typical value between stages), and the 27th mile points to the top of the mountain gateway of Serra do Bidueiro, next to megalithic monument called «Mamoa of S. Pedro Dias» (a pilgrimage to this site takes place everyear), showing once again the great antiquity of this route, at least as a footpath.

This correction also allows us to match the sequence of miles with the only known station in this route, located in Eira Velha (unfortunately recently destroyed by the construction of the Coimbra-Tomar section of the A13 highway, another avoidable destruction of Roman structures next to the road), which is located 22 miles from Rio Alva and seven miles from Conímbriga. This track continued westwards until the town of Soure (eventually a river port of the Mondego), where a milestone was found.

Regarding milestones, there are only three on this route, all of them found near Seia, at the crossing with another major road, the route from Viseu to São Romão castrum (c. Seia), so we do not know for sure which of the two routes was marked by milestones.

The only one that still keeps part of the inscription is from Imperor Maximiano, indicating XXI miles, a distance compatible with Bobadela and Celorico da Beira, but which seems more appropriate to the latter, in this case marking the distance to the Mondego River. It is currently located in the garden of a rural tourism house in Paços da Serra. Recently, another milestone (anepigraphic) was identified near the Santa Comba cemetery, which is most probably in situ, and is therefore decisive to adjust the milestone sequence. The third one was identified nearby, in the village of Vila Chã, and it was reused as support of a balcony of a house, whose morphology and proximity to Santa Comba supports the hypothesis that it is in fact another milestone of this route.

Returning to the crossing of the Alva river at Mucela, the Moura Morta site does not have any sign of a previous Iron Age occupation, which means that it was established by the romans, eventually to control this passage (possibly a statio). However, until the settlement is excavated, nothing more can be added.

O cruzamento do Rio Alva na Ponte da Mucela

Um dos grandes itinerários que cruzava o nosso território tinha origem em Conímbriga e cruzava a Beira Alta rumo ao Rio Douro, seguindo por Bobadela, Celorico da Beira (onde cruza o Mondego), seguindo depois por Mêda Civitas Aravorum, bifurcando para duas importantes travessias do Douro, na Quinta de Vesúvio/Sra. da Ribeira e Monte Meão/Foz do Sabor ( e não para Salamanca como é comum afirmar-se).

Este itinerário tem sido associado à chamada “Estrada da Beira” que partia de Coimbra rumo a Celorico da Beira, mas directriz deste trajecto aponta claramente para que sua origem estivesse em Conímbriga e não em Coimbra. Um possível ramal ligando a Coimbra, ainda que não impossível, não parece viável, sendo que as derivações da via ligam a portos fluviais no Mondego (nomeadamente Porto da Raiva e Penacova), podendo o restante percurso até Coimbra ser por via fluvial. Ainda que haja caminhos na outra margem, estes parecem dirigir-se para noroeste e não para Coimbra, o que fragiliza ainda mais esta hipótese. Estes acabam inevitavelmente por ter de cruzar a via proveniente de Viseu rumo a Coimbra, podendo seguir por esta até essa cidade, mas as diversas inflexões do percurso não se coadunam com a existência de uma via independente ligando Coimbra a Bobadela.

Se existem dúvidas no destino final da estrada, o local onde estrada cruzava o Rio Alva recolhe unanimidade, apontando para a área da Ponte da Mucela, tradicional ponto de passagem desde a Idade Média. No Monarquia Lusitana, o Fr. Francisco Brandão transcreve uma inscrição que estava colocada na ponte medieval, comemorando a sua construção no ano de 1295, durante o o reinado de D. Dinis. No entanto, a identificação de alguns silhares romanos reutilizados na construção medieval, permitia sustentar a hipótese de uma ponte romana anterior, talvez mais a jusante, próximo do povoado romano da Moura Morta, onde a travessia é bem mais facilitada.

Alterações introduzidas no traçado da Via Conímbriga – Bobadela na travessia do Rio Alva (linha vermelha), junto ao povoado romano de Moura Morta e a Serra do Bidueiro junto da mamoa de S. Pedro Dias.

O povoado assenta num meandro do rio Alva que rodeia o assentamento por todos lados menos do lado sul, por onde se acedia ao local. Contudo, as fortes arribas na outra margem inviabilizam a passagem junto ao assentamento. No entanto, entre este e a ponte, existe uma zona mais favorável ao cruzamento do rio, aproveitando depois uma lombada que ali existe para iniciar a ascensão da encosta em suaves patamares. Aliás a passagem neste local poderia até não exigir a construção de uma ponte, sendo que nesse caso, os silhares romanos poderão ter vindo do próprio povoado de Moura Morta que dista apenas cerca de 1 km da ponte actual.

Mas independentemente da questão se haveria ponte romana ou não, tudo indica que a travessia seria neste local pelas razões apontadas e também porque este traçado vem acertar a marcação miliária entre Conímbriga e Bobadela. De facto, a distância medida de Conímbriga ao Alva pelo percurso proposto totaliza 29 milhas (valor típico entre etapas), sendo que a milha 27 corresponde ao alto da portela da Serra do Bidueiro, onde se regista um monumento megalítico, a mamoa de S. Pedro Dias (local de romaria em torno da capela ali existente), evidenciando mais uma vez a grande antiguidade deste trajecto, pelo menos como caminho de pé-posto.

Esta correção permite também acertar a marcação miliária com a única paragem comprovada arqueologicamente no percurso entre o Alva e Conímbriga, a estação viária romana da Eira Velha (infelizmente recentemente destruída pela construção do troço Coimbra-Tomar da A13, em mais um atentado perfeitamente evitável), localizada a 22 milhas do Rio Alva e a sete milhas de Conímbriga. Esta via continuava para ocidente até Soure (possível cais fluvial do Mondego), onde apareceu um miliário.

A propósito de miliários, nesta via não se contam mais que três marcos, todos identificados nas proximidades de Seia, assinalando, aliás, o cruzamento com outro grande eixo viário, a via oriunda de Viseu que ligava ao Castro de São Romão (c. Seia), criando dúvidas sobre qual destas estradas seria assinalada por estes marcos.

O único que ainda mantém parte da epígrafe é de Maximiano e indicada XXI milhas, distância compatível com Bobadela e, mais ainda, com Celorico da Beira, que nesse caso, indicaria a distância ao Rio Mondego. No entanto, não podemos excluir a hipótese deste marco indicar a outra rota para Viseu, sendo que as 21 milhas são compatíveis com a distância daqui à travessia do Rio Dão na Ponte Romana de Alcafache. Actualmente encontra-se deslocado no jardim de uma casa de turismo rural em Paços da Serra. Recentemente foi identificado uma outro miliário (anepígrafo) junto do cemitério de Santa Comba que estará muito provavelmente in situ pelo que é decisivo par ao acerto da marcação miliária desta via. O terceiro foi identificado ali próximo, em Vila Chã, reutilizado como suporte de uma varanda de uma casa da aldeia, cuja morfologia e proximidade a Santa Comba sustenta a hipótese de se tratar de outro miliário.

Voltando à travessia do Alva na Mucela, o sítio da Moura Morta não apresenta ocupação da Idade do Ferro pelo que se trata de uma estabelecimento de fundação romana para apoio e controlo da via (eventualmente uma statio). No entanto, enquanto não houver um escavação do povoado nada mais se pode acrescentar.

The Bracara-Asturica Itinerary through «Gerês»

This itinerary from Braga to Astorga (Via XVIII of the Itinerary of Antonino) integrates one of the best preserved stretches of the route in Portugal, crossing the Serra do Gerês (where it is called “Geira”), heading towards Galicia through Portela do Homem. The Portuguese part is relatively well studied, with a consolidated route based on the great number of existing milestones, but in the Spanish part there are still great uncertainties, both in the actual route chosen and the location of the intermediate stations. In the attempt to clarify the route to Astorga, and applying the methods developed for the survey of the Portuguese part, we propose the following solution.

Tracing of the XVIII itinerary of Antonino with the respective stopping stations.

The problem is centred in the distances between stages that do not match the distance measured on the ground. Summing all the stages we get 218 miles, however the total distance indicated in the itinerary is 215 miles, a divergence never fully explained and which opens the possibility of errors in the miles indicated in one or more stages. If for Aquis Originis and Aquis Querquennis there seems to be no doubt in their location respectively at Banhos do Rio Caldo and Baños de Bande, from there on the doubts grow. The next station, Geminas, would be 16 miles ahead, but if the route is confirmed by milestones, there is a mile to go before reaching the Torre de Sandiás settlement, its most probable location. This mile difference is crucial because the information on the mileage in milestones identified further along the route to Astorga correctly indicates the distance to Braga (73 miles on the milestone of Casasoá). So, it would be necessary to correct the 16 miles indicated for this stage to the 17 that will hit the village of Torre de Sandiás, making a total of 70 miles to Braga.

The location of the following stations is still under great discussion and no consensual solution is in sight. The proposals of Rodriguez Colmenero (et al. 2004) continue to be the basis of what is written on the subject, maintaining the great confusion installed by launching the theory of different values of mileage that supposedly would be used in different stretches of track, depending on the characteristics of the terrain. This was an attempt to justify the various inconsistencies in the proposals presented, creating a deadlock that remains to this day. Later studies came to dismantle this thesis because the only measure verified on the ground corresponds to the so-called “classic” mile, which is around 1500m.

The clear excess of miles in this itinerary, making it necessary to place two stations very close to each other seemed to make the hypothesis of an error in the miliary counting much more likely.

Continuing the route, Salientibus could be in Vigueira de Abaixo (milestones), 18 miles from Geminas (Torre de Sandiás). Consequently, the next station, Praesidio, would be 18 miles ahead, distance which puts this station in Pobra de Tivres, in a strategic place since it was located between the two main Roman bridges, Ponte Navea and Ponte de Bibei (this one still standing!). After crossing the Bibei river, the route ascended to Larouco and from here, headed to Ponte da Cigarossa (also presenting Roman foundations) where Nemetobriga should be located. The recent discovery in 2022 of a milestone of Nero (?) during works near the bridge, reconfirms the passage of the XVIII Itinerary in this place, which is exactly 120 miles away from Braga (meanwhile the milestone was placed in its probable original location at the bridge entrance).

The main problem lies in the next stage, between Nemetobriga and Foro, for which the Itinerary indicates the distance of 19 miles. However, this value seems too high since adding up all the stages until Bergido (undoubtedly located in Castro Ventosa, west of Cacabelos), we get a total of 50 miles (19+18+13), a value that greatly exceeds the distance between Cigarrosa Bridge and Castro Ventosa which is no more than 39 miles.

This difference of 11 miles must be justified by an error in the Itinerary. Now, analyzing the intermediate distances, everything indicates that this error can only be in the Nemetobriga to Foro leg that should be corrected to 8 miles (possible confusion between the numerals XVIIII and VIIII). In this way, we reach the Foro station near the so-called villa of San Salvador in the place of Proba in Barco de Valdeorras. The site was excavated and then reburied, but it was found to be a vicus viarum, located next to the via, where a milestone also appeared. A votive inscription placed by a member of the VII Gemini Legion reinforces the passage of the Roman road here.

The distances to the following stations seem to be correct, with Gemestario located 18 miles from Foro and 13 miles from Bergido, a position which corresponds to the Alto da Portela de Aguiar in a mountain range called Sierra de Encina da Lastra, which defines de geographical border between the provinces of Galicia and Asturias. From here, the route descends to the valley of the river Sil and continues straight up to the Ventosa castrum, where it joins the Lugo-Astorga road. Here it curves eastwards for another twenty miles to Interamnio Fluvio or Intereraconio Flavio (different spellings of the same station), most probably located in Bembibre. From here, the route continues for more 30 miles up to Astorga, passing in the Ribeira de Folgoso, Torre del Bierzo, San Juan de Montealegre, Manzanal del Puerto and Brimeda, a route marked by several milestones.

Thus, the survey of the route and the milestone sequence points to the following proposal for the location of the stations: Salientibus (Vigueira de Abaixo, XVIII), Praesido (Pobra de Trives, XVIII), Nemetobriga (Ponte da Cigarrosa, XIII, 120 miles to Braga), Foro (IX, Pobra de Barco), Gemestario (Alto da Portela de Aguiar, XVIII) and Bergido (Ventosa castrum,CastroCacabelos, XIII), See route description here.

https://viasromanas.pt/#via_nova

O Itinerário Bracara-Asturica pela Serra do Gerês

Este itinerário de Braga a Astorga (Via XVIII do Itinerário de Antonino) integra um dos troços melhor preservados da via em Portugal, cruzando a Serra do Gerês (onde é designada por “Geira”), rumo à Galiza pela Portela do Homem. A parte portuguesa está relativamente bem estudada, com percurso consolidado baseado no grande número de miliários existentes, mas na parte espanhola subsistem ainda grandes incertezas, quer no seu traçado quer na localização das estações intermédias. Na tentativa de aclarar o percurso até Astorga, e aplicando os métodos desenvolvidos para o levantamento da rede na parte portuguesa, propoe-se a seguinte solução.

Traçado do itinerário XVIII de Antonino com as respectivas estações de paragem.

O problema centra-se nas distâncias entre etapas que não casam com a distância medida no terreno. Somando todas as etapas obtemos 218 milhas, no entanto a distância total indicada no itinerário é de 215 milhas, divergência nunca cabalmente explicada e que abre a possibilidade de existirem erros nas milhas indicadas em uma ou mais etapas. Se para Aquis Originis e Aquis Querquennis não parece haver dúvida na sua localização respectivamente a Banhos do Rio Caldo e Baños de Bande, a partir daí as dúvidas crescem. Desde logo, a estação seguinte, Geminas, estaria 16 milhas adiante, mas fazendo o percurso (confirmado por miliários) verifica-se que falta uma milha para atingir o castro de Torre de Sandiás, a sua mais que provável localização. Essa milha em falta é crucial porque a informação da milha em marcos identificado mais adiante no percurso para Astorga, indicam correctamente a distância a Braga (73 milhas no miliário de Casasoá). Deste modo, haveria que corrigir as 16 milhas indicadas para esta etapa para as 17 que vão acertar com o povoado de Torre de Sandiás, perfazendo um total de 70 milhas a Braga.

A localização das estações seguintes continua em grande discussão sem que vislumbre uma solução consensual. As propostas de Rodriguez Colmenero (et al. 2004) continuam a ser a base do que se escreve sobre o tema, mantendo a grande confusão instalada ao lançar a teoria dos diferentes valores de milha que supostamente seriam utilizadas em diferentes troços da via, em função das características do terreno. Tentava-se assim justificar as várias incoerências nas propostas apresentadas, criando um impasse que permanece até hoje. Estudos posteriores vieram desmontar esta tese porque a única medida verificada no terreno corresponde à milha dita “clássica” que ronda os 1500 m.

O claro excesso de milhas neste itinerário, obrigando a colocar duas estações muito próximas um da outra parecia tornar a hipótese de haver erro na contagem miliária muito mais verosímil.

Continuando a contagem, Salientibus poderia estar em Vigueira de Abaixo onde há miliários e era vencida a milha 18 a Geminas (Torre de Sandiás). Consequentemente, a estação seguinte, Praesidio,  estaria 18 milhas adiante, distância que coloca esta estação em Pobra de Tivres, num local estratégico dado que se encontrava entre as grandes pontes de construção romana designadas por Ponte Navea e Ponte de Bibei (esta ainda pé!). Depois de cruzar o Rio Bibei ascendia a Larouco e daqui seguia em direcção à Ponte da Cigarossa (também com alicerces romanos) onde se deveria localizar Nemetobriga. A recente descoberta em 2022 de um miliário de Nero (?) durante umas obras junto à ponte, vem reconfirmar a passagem do Itinerário XVIII neste local que se encontra a exactamente 120 milhas de Braga (entretanto o marco foi colocado no seu provável local original à entrada da ponte).

O principal problema encontra-se na etapa seguinte, entre Nemetobriga a Foro, para a qual o Itinerário indica a distância de 19 milhas. Ora, este valor parece demasiado elevado dado que somando todas as etapas até Bergido (sem dúvida localizado no Castro Ventosa, a oeste de Cacabelos), obtemos um total de 50 milhas (19+18+13), valor que excede largemente a distância entre a a Ponte da Cigarrosa e o Castro Ventosa que não se contam mais que 39 milhas.

Esta diferença de 11 milhas tem de ser justificada por um erro no Itinerário. Ora, analisando as distâncias intermédias, tudo indica que esse erro só pode estar na etapa de Nemetobriga a Foro que deverá ser corrigida para 8 milhas (possível confusão entre o numeral XVIIII e VIIII). Deste modo, atingimos a estação de Foro junto da chamada villa de San Salvador no lugar da Proba em Barco de Valdeorras. O sítio foi escavado e logo enterrado novamente, mas apurou-se que se trata de um vicus viarum, localizado junto da via, onde aliás apareceu um miliário. Uma inscrição votiva colocada por um membro da VII Legião Gémina reforça o carácter viário do local.

As distâncias das estações seguintes parecem estar correctas, com a Gemestario localizada a 18 milhas de Foro e a 13 milhas de Bergido, posição que corresponde ao Alto da Portela de Aguiar na Serra da Encina da Lastra que serve de dicisão geográfica entre as províncias da Galiza e Astúrias. Daqui desce ao vale do rio Sil seguindo recto até ao castro Ventosa, onde entronca na via Lugo-Astorga. Aqui inflectia para leste, seguindo por mais vinte milhas até Interamnio Fluvio ou Intereraconio Flavio (diferentes grafias da mesma estação), com toda a probabilidade localizada em Bembibre. Depois percorre mais 30 milhas até Astorga, passando em Ribeira de Folgoso, Torre del Bierzo, São João de Montealegre, Manzanal del Puerto e Brimeda, traçado marcado por diversos miliários.

Deste modo, o levantamento do percurso e da sequência miliária aponta para a seguinte proposta de localização das estações: Salientibus (Vigueira de Abaixo, XVIII), Praesido (Pobra de Trives, XVIII), Nemetobriga (Ponte da Cigarrosa, XIII, 120 milhas a Braga), Foro (IX, Pobra de Barco), Gemestario (Alto da Portela de Aguiar, XVIII) e Bergido (Cacabelos, XIII), Ver do percurso aqui.

https://viasromanas.pt/#via_nova

The «Carril Mourisco» and other routes

There has been a growing interest in a historical path commonly called the Carril Mourisco which runs along the Mirandês plateau. It is an ancient route travelled by the mule drivers until the beginning of the 20th century and was recorded in 1915 by Father Francisco Manuel Alves (better known as Abbot of Baçal) based on notes by Major Celestino Beça, suggesting the possibility of the road going back to the Roman period (Alves, 1915). Consequently, the road was marked as “Antiga Via Romana” on the respective military map, curiously the only time this happens in the entire M888 series. Sande Lemos would publish the route (LEMOS 1993, p. 299) and more recently the respective topographic survey was carried out (LIMA et al., 2015). However, some doubts remained about its route after passing through Brunhosinho, doubts that we finally managed to clear up, and that have clarified the road network in the region.

The Carril Mourisco was part of a large itinerary that started in Compleutica (station of the road Chaves-Astorga located in Figueruela de Arriba) that followed towards the Douro River by San Vitero, entering the current Portuguese territory by Cruz de Canda in Cicouro. From here its route is described by the Abbot of Baçal crossing the plateau Mirandês in the current municipalities of Miranda do Douro and Mogadouro. The doubts raised by various later authors on the chronology of the road has somewhat obscured its importance in the Roman road network, doubts that have since been dispelled by the recent identification of a milestone on the route of the “Carril Mourisco” which is currently at the halt of Urrós, near Café Ramiro, but which would have come from a corral in the parish of Brunhosinho.

Image of the Urrós milestone taken from Google Street View

Although the cylinder is anepigraphic, we have no doubt that it is indeed a Roman milestone, given its quadrangular base and dimensions, (re)confirming the passage of the track along the railway line towards the Brunhosinho junction, a very important place, as from here the connection branches to Penas Roias and Mogadouro departed, while the Carril branched its course southwards towards Barca Dalva. This road junction is marked by several tumuli over the designation of megalithic set of Pena Mosqueira, showing the road character of these monuments, bringing back the origins of this route to the Late Neolithic (!).

According to our proposal, the milestone of Carril in the Urrós pass corresponds to mile 45, counted from Compleutica. However, as the milestone came from the vicinity of Brunhosinho, it is more likely that its original point of implantation was in the next mile which corresponds to the place where the track crosses the IC5 (41°22’7.42″N, 6°30’40.42″O). The distance from this place to the Douro is about 40 miles, so this could be the value indicated by the marker (as it is a usual value between stages of a journey), thus giving valuable information to travellers. From the following mile (39), the mentioned branch line departed towards Penas Roias, reaching the eighth mile next to the Roman site of Fonte do Sapo (next to the cemetery), which should correspond to a mutatio type road establishment. Returning to Carril, the next mile was reached next to the Pena Mosqueira mound 3, and the following mile was reached next to mound 2, considered the largest and most important of the four monuments of the Pena Mosqueira group. This place is very relevant because here was the point where the Mourisco Railway inflected its direction southwards towards Barca Dalva, and also because from here another branch line that linked it to Mogadouro, also located eight miles away.

Road junction at Pena Mosqueira, showing the Mourisco Railway crossing at Urrós and the IC5 crossroads, which could be the original site of the milestone, 40 m.p.m. of the Douro and 46 m.p.m. of Compleutica. The blue strokes correspond to the connection routes to Penas Roias and Mogadouro from the tumuli of Pena Mosqueira. In Vila de Ala the Carril converged with the north-south track that linked Babe to Vila de Ala

From Pena Mosqueira, the Carril followed northwest to the village of Tó, passing through the toponyms “Pinhal de Brunhozinho”, “Lagoa de Thó” and “Pontão de Thó”, as indicated by Celestino Beça (Alves, 1915, p. 7) and not Variz as previously proposed (LIMA et al., 2015, p. 58). At the northern entrance to this settlement there is a cross that marks the location of the milestone, i.e. 32 miles to the Douro. Note that it is eight miles from here to the milestone, suggesting that mutatio would exist here, a hypothesis greatly reinforced by the fact that this is the point where the ‘Carril’ converged on another important itinerary, also originating on the Chaves-Astorga route, but that left from the Babe road station (from the mutatio of the Sacred), following through Vimioso and the old Algoso bridge to Vila de Ala, also covering about 46 miles, curiously (or maybe not), the same value verified for the milestone from Brunhosinho to Compleutica. The route of this last track was finally identified in all its course that is now described here, being also included in the new version of the Routes Map (see 5.0).

Tracing of the two roads that converged in Vila de Ala towards the Douro (in viasromanas.pt/vr_map.html).

Links to the Itineraries:
Route from Compleutica to Barca Dalva (Carril Mourisco)
Route from Babe to Vila de Ala

Bibliograophy:
ALVES, Pe. Francisco Manuel (1915) – “Estudos arqueológicos do Major Celestino Beça – A estrada militar romana de Braga a Astorga por Bragança”. OAP Vol. XX, 74-106.
LEMOS, F. Sande (1993) – “Povoamento Romano de Trás-os-Montes Oriental”. Braga: University of Minho. Tese de Doutoramento.
LIMA, A.C. et all. (2015) – “O Carril Mourisco. O traçado romano de uma grande rota contemporânea”. In Côavisão, 17, 54-79.

O «Carril Mourisco» e outras vias

Tem havido um interesse crescente num caminho histórico habitualmente designado por Carril Mourisco que percorre o planalto Mirandês. Trata-se de uma via antiga percorrida pelos almocreves até aos inícios do século XX que foi registada em 1915 pelo Pe. Francisco Manuel Alves (mais conhecido por Abade de Baçal) com base em notas do Major Celestino Beça, aventando a possibilidade da estrada recuar ao período romano (Alves, 1915). Por consequência o caminho viria a ser assinalado como “Antiga Via Romana” no respectivo mapa militar, curiosamente a única vez que isso acontece em toda a série M888. Sande Lemos viria a publicar o trajecto (LEMOS 1993, p. 299) e mais recentemente foi feito o respectivo levantamento topográfico (LIMA et al., 2015). No entanto, subsistiam algumas dúvidas no seu trajecto após a passagem por Brunhosinho, dúvidas essas que finalmente conseguimos esclarecer, e que vieram clarificar a rede viária na região.

O Carril Mourisco integrava um grande itinerário com origem em Compleutica (estação da via Chaves-Astorga situada em Figueruela de Arriba) que seguia rumo ao Rio Douro por San Vitero, entrando no actual território português pela Cruz de Canda em Cicouro. A partir daqui o seu percurso é descrito pelo Abade de Baçal cruzando o planalto Mirandês nos actuais concelhos de Miranda do Douro e Mogadouro. As dúvidas colocadas por diversos autores posteriores sobre a cronologia da estrada tem de certa forma ocultado a sua importância na rede viária romana, dúvidas entretanto desfeitas pela recente identificação de um miliário no percurso do «Carril Mourisco» que está actualmente no apeadeiro de Urrós, junto do Café Ramiro, mas que teria vindo de um curral da freguesia de Brunhosinho.

Imagem do miliário de Urrós retirada do Google Street View

Apesar de anepígrafo, não temos dúvidas de que se trata efectivamente de um miliário romano atendendo à sua base quadrangular e dimensões, (re)confirmando a passagem da via ao longo da linha férrea rumo ao nó viário de Brunhosinho, local da maior importância pois daqui partiam ramais de ligação a Penas Roias e Mogadouro, enquanto o Carril inflectia o seu percurso para sul rumo a Barca Dalva. Este nó viário é assinalado por várias mamoas sobre a designação de conjunto megalítico da Pena Mosqueira, evidenciando o carácter viário destes monumentos, fazendo recuar as origens deste traçado ao Neolítico Final (!).

Segundo a nossa proposta, a marcação miliária do Carril no apeadeiro de Urrós corresponde à milha 45, contadas a partir de Compleutica. No entanto, como o miliário veio das proximidades de Brunhosinho, é mais provável que o seu ponto original de implantação fosse na milha seguinte que corresponde ao local onde a via cruza o IC5 (41°22’7.42″N, 6°30’40.42″O). Por sua vez, a distância deste local ao Douro é de cerca de 40 milhas pelo que este poderia ser o valor indicado pelo marco (dado ser um valor habitual entre etapas de uma jornada), dando assim preciosa informação aos viandantes. Da milha seguinte (39) partia o referido ramal para Penas Roias, atingindo a oitava milha junto do sítio romano da Fonte do Sapo (junto ao cemitério), que assim deverá corresponder a um estabelecimento viário tipo mutatio. Voltando ao Carril, a milha seguinte era atingida junto da mamoa 3 da Pena Mosqueira, e a seguinte milha era atingida junto da mamoa 2, considerada o maior e mais importante dos quatro monumentos do grupo da Pena Mosqueira. Este local é muito relevante porque aqui era o ponto onde o Carril Mourisco inflectia a sua direcção para sul rumo a Barca Dalva, e também porque daqui o partia um outro ramal que ligava a Mogadouro, também localizada a oito milhas.

Nó viário da Pena Mosqueira, mostrando a passagem do Carril Mourisco em Urrós e o local de cruzamento da IC5 que poderia ser o local original do miliário, 40 m.p. do Douro e 46 de Compleutica. Os traçados a azul correspondem aos ramais de ligação a Penas Roias e Mogadouro a partir das mamoas da Pena Mosqueira. Em Vila de Ala o Carril confluía com a via norte-sul que ligava Babe a Vila de Ala.

Da Pena Mosqueira, o Carril seguia a noroeste da aldeia de Tó, passando nos topónimos « Pinhal de Brunhozinho», «Lagoa de Thó» e «Pontão de Thó», tal como indicado por Celestino Beça (Alves, 1915, p. 7) e não por Variz como anteriormente proposto (LIMA et al., 2015, p. 58). Na entrada norte desta povoação existe um cruzeiro que assinala o local da marcação miliária, ou seja, 32 milhas ao Douro. Notar que são oito milhas daqui ao miliário, sugerindo que aqui existiria mutatio, hipótese muito reforçada pelo facto de este ser o ponto onde o «Carril» confluía noutro importante itinerário, também com origem na via Chaves-Astorga, mas que partia da estação viária de Babe (da mutatio do Sagrado), seguindo por Vimioso e pela velha Ponte de Algoso até Vila de Ala, percorrendo também cerca de 46 milhas, curiosamente (ou talvez não), o mesmo valor verificado para o miliário de Brunhosinho a Compleutica. O traçado desta última via foi finalmente identificado em todo o seu percurso que passa a estar descrito aqui, sendo também incluído na nova versão do Mapa de Vias (ver 5.0).

Traçado das duas vias que confluíam em Vila de Ala rumo ao Douro (in viasromanas.pt/vr_map.html).

Descrição dos Itinerários:
Via de Compleutica a Barca Dalva (Carril Mourisco)
Via de Babe a Vila de Ala

Bibliografia:
ALVES, Pe. Francisco Manuel (1915) – “Estudos arqueológicos do Major Celestino Beça – A estrada militar romana de Braga a Astorga por Bragança”. OAP Vol. XX, 74-106.
LEMOS, F. Sande (1993) – “Povoamento Romano de Trás-os-Montes Oriental”. Braga: Universidade do Minho. Tese de Doutoramento.
LIMA, A.C. et all. (2015) – “O Carril Mourisco. O traçado romano de uma grande rota contemporânea”. In Côavisão, 17, 54-79.

A bridge over the Douro River: a failed project

In 1179, the first king of Portugal, Dom Afonso Henriques, stipulated the delivery of 300 modios morabitinos for the “Ponti Dorii”, launching the project to build a bridge over the River Douro. The remains of this bridge were still visible in the 16th century when Rui Fernandes wrote his manuscript entitled “Descrição do terreno ao redor de Lamego duas léguas [ 1531-1532 ]“, currently in the Municipal Library of Porto, which reads:

Item between this ferryboat of Bernaldo, and that of Porto de Rey are some fine pillars of a bridge that the Queen Donna Mafalda say she ordered to be made, which are two in the middle of the Douro of very great height, and very wide foundation, that the two that are in the river, in this month of May will be ten palms uncovered, and in the summer will be twenty palms and more, and there are two others outside, one on this side, and another on the other side. These pillars have already been doubled in height, and they broke them down and make fishing grounds out of them” (translation of ms. 547, fl 9).

The pillars of the old bridge were therefore still very visible in his time, although they had already been heavily collapsed: “The arch on one side has already collapsed. There is much broken stone on the hill, and you will find on the hills many mason stone tools, and wedges, and levers, which were left there” (fl. 9).

He also calls for taxes to be levied on the neighboring villages in order to complete the work, “because the majority of it has been done” and because there was still a lot of “broken stone” ready to be used to complete the work:

“Our Lord the King could very well order this half bridge to be built with the payment of two reis to each inhabitant twenty leagues around, and in six or seven years, or less, it could be done without oppression, and it would be a very noble thing” (fl. 9).

However, the work would never be finalized and what remains of these pillars were submerged after the construction of the Carrapatelo dam in 1972, but there are reports from that time mentioning the remains of one of the pillars in the riverbed (Resende. 2014: 423).

Moreover, we have precise information from the fifteenth-century author about its location when he writes that “this work is below a place, that they call Barqueiros moreover that they call Barrô” (fl.  9v), about 18 km from Porto Manso (“from Peares to Porto Manço there are three leagues“, fl. 10), which allows us to estimate its approximate location in the meander of the river between Barqueiros and Barrô, where the riverbanks are narrower (see image).

Approximate location of the Dona Mafalda Bridge, between Barqueiros and Barrô, upstream of the Porto de Rei ferry (over Google Earth image)

Although Rui Fernandes alludes to the legend of the death of the queen’s son when trying to cross the bridge, justifying this way the abandonment of its construction, we cannot exclude the hypothesis that it was finished and that its destruction was later, possibly due to a flood of the river, not least because the chosen location does not seem to be the most suitable for the construction of a bridge, the Douro being such a tumultuous river, and even less so the accesses to the bridge that would have to overcome the steep cliffs from this location.

In his “Elucidário…”, Friar Rosa Viterbo seems to follow this line by referring to documents from the Salzedas Monastery of 1205 containing the will of Dona Sancha Bermudes where it says that she had an estate “at the Douro Bridge”, as well as in another document from 1216, where she donates to the Monastery of Paço de Sousa everything she owned in Barrô and “near the Douro Bridge” (Viterbo, 1799: 227). Thus, it is possible that the bridge was still operational in that period, as Viterbo suggests, serving as an alternative to crossing the Douro at Porto de Rei from the road that connected Marco de Canaveses to Lamego (see https://viasromanas.pt/index.html#porto_de_rei_lamego).

The route from Porto de Rei to Lamego (green) and its variant passing on the Dona Mafalda Bridge (blue)

What is certain is that the dream of building a bridge over the Douro River ended in ruin, and until the 19th century all crossings of the river were provided by ferries. The medieval Douro bridge was a failed project whose implications were felt for many years, and even today there is stil no bridge in the stetch of the river between Régua and Resende, and the new Ermida Bridge, near the latter, was only inaugurated in 1998!

_______________________________________

Bibliography
FERNANDES, Rui (1531-1532) – “Descrição do terreno ao redor de Lamego duas léguas [ 1531-1532 ]“. Caleidoscopio, Ed. Amândio Barros (2012).
RESENDE, Nuno (2008) – “Ponte da Veiga: Lousada“. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico, 2014. Vol. 2, 419-431.
VITERBO, Frei Joaquim de Santa Rosa de (1799) – “Elucidário das Palavras Termos e Frases”(…). Lisboa: Typographia Regia Silviana (1º Edição), vol. 2.

Ponte do Douro: um projecto falhado

Em 1179, o primeiro rei de Portugal, Dom Afonso Henriques estipulou a entrega de “300 modios morabitinos para a ponti Dorii”, lançando o projecto de construção de uma ponte sobre o rio Douro. Os restos dessa ponte eram ainda visíveis no século XVI quando Rui Fernandes elabora o seu manuscrito intitulado “Descrição do terreno ao redor de Lamego duas léguas [ 1531-1532 ]“, actualmente na Biblioteca Municipal do Porto, onde se lê:

Item entre esta barca do Bernaldo, e a de Porto de Rey estão huns fermozos peares de hua ponte que a Rainha Donna Mafalda dizem que mandava fazer os quais sam dois no meyo do Douro de muito grande altura, e mui largo fundamento, que os dous que estão no rio, neste mes de Mayo hirão bem dez palmos descobertos, e no Verão hirão bem vinte palmos e mais, e estão outros dous de fora hum da parte daquem, e outro da parte dalem. Estes poyares foram já de dobrada altura, e os derribarão, e fizerão delles pesqueiras” (ms. 547, fl. 9).

Estes “peares”, ou seja os pilares da antiga ponte estavam portanto ainda bem visíveis no seu tempo, embora já muito derrubados: “O arco da parte daquem volvia já. Esta hi muita pedra quebrada polo monte, que ficou quebrada, e acharão ainda polos montes muitas marras, e cunhas, e lavancas, que por hi ficarão” (fl. 9).

Apela também para que se lance impostos sobre as povoações vizinhas de modo a concluir a obra, “porque a mor parte hé feito” e porque ainda existia ali muita “pedra quebrada” pronta a usar na finalização da obra:

El Rey nosso senhor podia mui bem mandar fazer esta meya ponte que esta por fazer com deitar des reis a cada morador vinte legoas arredor, e em seis, ou sete annos, ou em menos se podia fazer sem opressão, e seria hua couza mui nobre” (fl. 9).

No entanto, a obra jamais sería concluída e o que resta desses pilares ficou submerso após a construção da barragem do Carrapatelo em 1972, mas há relatos dessa época onde se referem os restos de um dos pilares no leito do rio (Resende. 2014: 423).

Apesar disso, temos informações precisas do autor quinhentista sobre a sua localização ao escrever que “esta obra esta abaixo de hum lugar, que chamão Barqueiros aliás que chamão Barrô” (fl. 9v), a cerca de 18 km de Porto Manso (“des os Peares ate Porto Manço que são tres legoas“, fl. 10), o que permite estimar a sua localização aproximada no meandro do rio entre Barqueiros e Barrô, onde a proximidade entre margens é menor (ver imagem).

Localização aproximada da Ponte de Dona Mafalda, entre Barqueiros e Barrô, a montante da Barca de Porto de Rei (sobre imagem Google Earth)

Apesar de Rui Fernandes aludir à lenda da morte do filho da rainha neste mesmo local para justificar o abandono da sua construção, não podemos excluir a hipótese de a mesma ter sido finalizada e que a sua destruição seja posterior, eventualmente devido a uma cheia do rio, até por que o local escolhido não parece ser o mais indicado para a construção de uma ponte, sendo o Douro um rio tão tumultuoso, e menos ainda os acessos à ponte que teriam de vencer as íngremes arribas desde local.

No seu “Elucidário…”, o frei Rosa Viterbo parece seguir esta linha ao referir documentos do Mosteiro de Salzedas do 1205 contendo o testamento de Dona Sancha Bermudes onde diz que esta tinha uma herdade “à Ponte do Douro”, assim como em outro documento de 1216, onde faz a doação ao Mosteiro de Paço de Sousa do tudo o que detinha em Barrô e “junto da Ponte do Douro” (Viterbo, 1799: 227). Deste modo, é possível que a ponte estivesse operacional nesse período, como sugere Viterbo, servindo como alternativa à travessia do Douro em Porto de Rei da estrada que ligava Marco de Canaveses a Lamego (ver https://viasromanas.pt/index.html#porto_de_rei_lamego).

A via de Porto de Rei a Lamego (verde) e a variante pela Ponte de Dona Mafalda (azul)

Certo é que o sonho de construir uma ponte sobre o rio Douro acabou em ruína e até ao século XIX todas as travessias do rio foram asseguradas por barcas de passagem. A ponte medieval do Douro foi um projecto falhado cujas implicações fizeram-se sentir por muitos e longos anos, e ainda hoje não existe qualquer ponte a ligar as duas margens no trecho entre a Régua e Resende, e mesmo a Ponte da Ermida, junto a esta última povoação, apenas foi inaugurada quando decorria já o ano de 1998!

______________________

Bibliografia
FERNANDES, Rui (1531-1532) – “Descrição do terreno ao redor de Lamego duas léguas [ 1531-1532 ]“. Caleidoscopio, Ed. Amândio Barros (2012).
RESENDE, Nuno (2008) – “Ponte da Veiga: Lousada“. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico, 2014. Vol. 2, 419-431.
VITERBO, Frei Joaquim de Santa Rosa de (1799) – “Elucidário das Palavras Termos e Frases”(…). Lisboa: Typographia Regia Silviana (1º Edição), vol. 2.


Post about the ancient roads of the Algarve

Despite being a strongly Romanised region, the road network in antiquity in the Algarve region remains with several open questions. The different proposals that have been put forward, often incompatible with each other, do not allow to draw a general picture of the network. The first researcher to tackle the problem in a scientific way was Estácio da Veiga at the end of the 19th century, initiating a series of studies based on the archaeological evidence he was compiling and publishing during his field surveys. By definitively proposing the location of Balsa in the area of the present-day Quinta de Torre de Aires (instead of Tavira) and of Baesuris in the sideric settlement of Castro Marim (instead of Ayamonte), Veiga clarified many of the doubts that had remained about the location of these settlements since the initial proposals launched by André de Resende in the 16th century (Veiga, 1886). In turn, the location of Ossonoba in Faro was only definitively established in the mid-20th century by Abel Viana, dispelling another of Resende’s misconceptions, who associated Ossonoba with the monumental remains of the villa of Milreu in Estoi (Resende, 1593: fl.189; Viana, 1952: 250-285)..

According to the soc-called “Antonine Itinerary” (IA, 425.6), these three port settlements on the Algarve coast were connected by a road, presumably running parallel to the coastline (Veiga, 1886). At the beginning of the 20th century the only known milestone in the Algarve (IRCP 660) was found probably in situ near a place called Bias do Sul (Olhão) and then re-used in a water noria, a find which seemed to confirm a route close to the coast (Mascarenhas, 1967: 3-11) . Fernandes Mascarenhas also mentions “traces of constructions, such as thick foundations and pieces of very thick tiles and bricks” next to the milestone.

Photos of the milestone when it was discovered, later reused in a water noria and detail of the epigraph with the letters revived indicating 10 miles (in Mascarenhas, 1967).

Mascarenhas also proposed that the 10 miles indicated in the milestone (M.P. X) were referring to the city of Faro which is in fact the distance between these points. SInce then, most researchers followed this proposal and traced a route through Bias along the (Mantas, 1990: 184, 1997; Silva, 2002, 2005 and 2007; Rodrigues, 2004; Maia, 2006). This landmark is currently on display at the Olhão Municipal Museum after many years in the Moncarapacho Parish Museum.

Despite the apparent consistency of the arguments presented, actually there is no evidence of any east-west road passing through this location, a fact that Mascarenhas gets around by supposing the road is under the current N125 (Mascarenhas, 1967: 9). If this was the case the track would have to follow north from the villa of Quinta do Marim towards Faro. However, all indications are that this route is a modern construction as it crosses several mats that at that time penetrated well inland through the streams of Ribeiro do Tronco and Ribeira de Marim. This way, from Balsa, the roads to Faro had follow a more inland route to avoid these mats, passing through Moncarapacho and Ponte Velha de Quelfes towards Faro (see itinerary).

But if the milestone of Bias was not marking this route along the coast, then it belonged to another “via”, but which one? To the south, we have the ocean, so the road could only run north, perpendicular to the route to Faro. And in fact, the column was found next to an ancient path called “Canada de Bias” that runs from Bias to the north. This route, mostly still used today as a rural path, goes in the direction of Moncarapacho. It then goes through São Brás de Alportel to reach the town of Querença, a major road-junction of the region. Here, it joins with the main route connecting Faro to the port of Alcácer do Sal (Salacia), passing in the pre-Roman settlement of Castro da Cola (Ourique), presumably the location of Arannis, a road station mentioned in the Antonine Itenerary 60 miles from Faro.

The road from Bias to Querença passing in Moncarapcho, Pereiro, Mesquita and Alportel

Very close to the place where the milestone appeared, there is a road junction next to Poço de Bias which could be the original site of its implantation, since this place is located around 3 miles from Moncarapacho. In this junction, next to rural house of Quinta do Neto, there is an animal trough and a well in direct connection with the ancient road (see photos). This assumption is also confirmed by the fact that the first mile falls on the ancient christian temple known as the Ermida of São Sebastião dos Matinhos (or do Bitoito) in Belo Romão.

From Moncarapacho, the road keeps going north reaching the Cerro do Moinho de Pereiro (m.p. VI), from where it turns northwest towards São Brás de Alportel, passing near Poço do Cavaleiro (m.p. VIII) and Desbarato, located 9 miles from Bias. This place is mentioned in the “Crónica da Conquista do Algarve ” as being the place where Dom Paio Peres Correia and his knights spent the night during their incursion to Tavira (Agostinho, 1792), most likely next to the fountain mentioned in a document of the year 1595: “…no primçipio das terras do desbarato domde esta húa fonte por marquo.” (Vinagre, 2006: 53).

It is interesting to note that the name of this place, ‘desbarato’, may according to some authors be a derivation of the Arabic word ‘bis-barat’ which could explain the origin of the enigmatic toponym ‘Bias’. Also the name ‘barat’ could be a corruption of ‘balat‘ which has the
generic meaning of ‘via’ or ‘paved road’. If so, then this toponym ‘bis-balat’ could be read as ‘the paved road to Bias‘, i.e., a direct reference to via passing in Desbarato.

The road went on to Fonte da Mesquita, reaching the tenth mile near a small hill called Cerro da Mesquita. The road is apparently mentioned in a document also of 1595 as the “caminho do Chamso a dar no Ribeiro da Mesquita […] e dahi vai a partisão por ribeiro da fonte da mesquita que ele muito antiga“; Vinagre, 2006:55).

Several small Roman rural structures are known in the area, probably related to this road station, but there is no sign of any settlement nearby. It is therefore possible this stop was related to some place of worship, presumably a sanctuary, and possibly a predecessor of the “mesquita” (mosque) stated in its toponym.

The track goes on through São Brás Alportel, passing slightly north of this town in a place called Campina, another another road station located 12 miles to Bias. From here there was a direct connection to Faro going through Estoi (also 12 miles long), but the route we are describing keeps going to northwest towards Querença, a road station on the route linking the Algarve to Alcácer do Sal. The usefulness of this connection to Bias is better understood when we analyse this route in the opposite direction. If you arrived at Querença coming from the north, you could go to Faro through Loulé or follow the road described here as “Canada de Bias”, connecting Querença to the ancient coastal area in Bias.

Roman road network of the Algarve (viasromanas.pt)

The usefulness of the connection to Bias is better understood when we analyse this route in the opposite direction. If you arrived to the Algarve through Querença, you could either head to Faro via Loulé or follow the “Canada de Bias” to the coast, crossing at Moncarapacho with the coastal road from Faro to Castro Marim, and then on to Balsa and Tavira. Now, the existence of this route from Querença to Bias could only be explained by assuming that Bias was a sea port during the Roman period. In 1841, João da Silva Lopes wrote: “At the site of Bias we have found many graves, all with a stone at the head, another at the feet, and two in the middle” (Silva Lopes, 1841: 372). Mascarenhas also mentions “the discovery of immense construction materials of Roman type, very close to the sea” (Mascarenhas, 1967: 4). Just 500 m from the milestone, facing the ancient coastline there are still remains of a quadrangular fortified tower (named «Torre de Bias do Sul 2») that may be related to this harbour, despite current dating pointing to no early than the 11th century.

As such, the milestone would mark the distance counted from Bias’s port to the road station in Cerro da Mesquita, a place that matches the 10 miles engraved in the milestone. The importance of this station derives from the fact that it is located exactly halfway along this route, as the distance from here to Querença it is also 10 miles, making a total of 20 miles, a module that is in fact repeated on the route from Castro Marim to Faro with a total of 40 miles, with Tavira as an intermediate point, given that it is 20 miles both from Faro and from the right bank of the Guadiana near Castro Marim (and not Balsa, only founded in the 1st century) . This surprising concordance in distances between stages cannot be just a coincidence, but rather to a deliberate act of structuring the network with standardised distances.

In this context, it is important to recover the old discussion about the location of the Statio Sacra, a place mentioned in the geography book of the so-called Anonymous of Ravenna, apparently located by this author between Balsa and Ossonoba (Rav. IV.43). In 1877 Estácio da Veiga proposed its location in Quinta do Marim (Veiga, 1887: 390-391) an hypothesis highly disseminated, but that was never consensual among researchers (Mantas, 1997: 315). The name suggests some kind of rural sanctuary, but only a private mausoleum was found here, most likely belonging to the near by Roman villa (Graen, 2007: 277). In turn, Leite de Vasconcelos associated Statio Sacra with the Promontorium Sacrum (present-day Cabo de São Vicente), placing it in roman finds of Martinhal beach (Vasconcelos 1905:198), actually a amphora-producing factory ; more recently it was associated with Moncarapacho (Silva, 2002: 47) while Mantas proposed the villa of Milreu (Mantas, 2008: 247); however, none of these proposals were ever confirmed. Moncarapacho would indeed be a good candidate given that it is a road station of the route from Ossonoba to Balsa, 10 miles from Tavira and to Faro.

However, it also possible that the Statio Sacra is not related to the Ossonoba-Balsa road, but to this road from Bias to Querença. Based on the data currently available, we cannot exclude its location at any of the respective stations (namely, Bias, Moncarapacho, Mesquita, Alportel and Querença), but the fact that the milestone indicates 10 miles cannot be ignored, suggesting that it marked the distance to a relevant location, i.e., the distance from the port of Bias to some road station with a more inland location.

If this were the case, then the Statio Sacra would be located in Fonte da Mesquita or its proximities, referring to an eventual rural sanctuary, but for the moment this is merely a working hypothesis, since the inverse is also possible, that is, the name ‘statio’ was also applied to name a ‘small port’, an interpretation that fits perfectly to its location in Bias do Sul. In turn, the epithet ‘Sacra‘, in this context, may have the meaning of ‘imperial’, suggesting a consecration of the place to the imperial cult (Tovar, 1976: 206). The archaeological context also points in that direction, namely an inscription consecrated to Augustus by an administrator (‘dispensator’) da vizinha cidade de Balsa (IRCP 74), as well as the milestone itself that was most likely also placed during the Julio-Claudian dynasty, that is, sometime between 27 BC and 68 AD. (Encarnação, 1984: 720). The foundation of Balsa in this period (possibly as a result of the progressive silting up of the port of Tavira, just 6 km away), may have implied a reform of the road system, of which the Statio Sacra and the milestone would echo.

But regardless of the true location of the mysterious Statio Sacra, there seems to be no doubt about the importance of this route in the overall road network during the Roman period (and before and after), allowing the solve many of the inconsistencies of the previous proposals to be solved and proposed a revised map of the ancient road network in the eastern Algarve (see map). The description of these routes can be found on www.viasromanas.pt and their tracing on the Map of Vias (from version 4.4 on).

Coordinates of some key points on this route:
Mile zero at Bias: 37.049608, -7. 776432
Chapel of St Sebastian (m.p. I): 37.060587, -7.785435,
Desbarato (m.p. IX): 37.143647, -7.842630
Fonte da Mesquita: 37. 146892,-7.854586
Cerro da Mesquita (m.p. X): 37.149943,-7.855184

Bibliography:
AGOSTINHO, Frei Joaquim de Santo (1792) – “Sobre huma chronica inédita da conquista do Algarve”, Memórias de Litteratura Portuguesa, Real Academia das Ciências, Lisboa, Tomo I, p.74-97.
ANONYMOUS OF RAVENA (c. 7 AD) – “Ravennatis Anonymi Cosmographia et Guidonis Geographica”. Berlin: M. Pinder / G. Parthey (1860).
ENCARNAÇÃO, José d’ (1984) – “Inscrições Romanas do Conventus Pacensis: subsídios para o estudo da romanização (IRCP)”. Coimbra: Universidade.
GRAEN (2007), Dennis – “O sítio da Quinta de Marim (Olhão) na época tardo-romana e o problema da localização da Statio Sacra”. In RPA 10, 1, 275-288.
MAIA, M. (2006) – “De Baesuris a Pax Ivlia por Aranis”. São Brás de Alportel: Actas das I Jornadas «As Vias do Algarve», 46-53.
MANTAS, Vasco G. (1990) – “As cidades marítimas da Lusitânia”. Paris: CNRS (Coll. Maison des Pays Ibériques; 42), p. 149-205.
MANTAS, Vasco G. (1997) – “As civitates: Esboço da geografia política e económica do Algarve romano”, in Noventa séculos entre aserra e o mar, Lisboa, 283-309.
MANTAS, Vasco G. (2008) – “A rede viária romana em Portugal: estado da questao e perspectivas futuras”. Anas, 21-22, 2008-2009, 245-272.
MASCARENHAS, J. Fernandes (1967) – “De Ossónoba a Balsa”. Col. Por Terras do Algarve – Tavira: Ed. Autor, 7-25.
RESENDE, André de (1593) – “As Antiguidades da Lusitânia”. Lisboa: Edição «Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian», 1996. Introdução, tradução e comentário de R. M. Rosado Fernandes.
RODRIGUES, Sandra (2004) – “As Vias Romanas do Algarve”. Faro: CUP-UAlg/CCRA.
SILVA, L. Fraga da (2002) – “A região de São Brás de Alportel na Antiguidade”. Tavira: Campo Arqueológico de Tavira.
SILVA LOPES, J. B. da (1841) – “Corografia ou Memória económica, estadística e topográfica do Reino do Algarve”. Lisboa: Academia Real das Ciências.
TOVAR, Antonio (1976) – “Iberische Landeskunde – Die Völker und die Städte des antiken Hispanien”, Part II, Vol. 2. Lusitanie. Baden-Baden.
VASCONCELOS, J. Leite de (1905) – “Religiões da Lusitânia”. Vol.pro 2. Lisboa: INCM (reed. de 1989).
VEIGA, Estácio da (1866) – “Povos Balsenses: sua situação geographico-physica indicada por dous monumentos romanos recentemente descobertos na Quinta da Torre d’Ares…”. Lisboa: Livraria Catholica.
VEIGA, Estácio da (1887) – “Antiguidades monumentais do Algarve Tempos prehistóricos”. Lisboa: Imprensa Nacional, Vol. 2.
VIANA, Abel (1952) – “Ossónoba. O problema da sua localização”, Revista de Guimarães 42, 250-285.
VINAGRE, Augusto et al. (2008) – “Toponímia de S. Brás de Alportel”. Trabalho com alunos da Escola EB2,3 de S. Brás de Alportel in “dos Algarves”, 17, 52-58.
WESSELING, Petrus (1735) – “Vetera Romanorum Itineraria, sive Antonini Augusti Itinerarium, Itinerarium Hierosolymitanum, et Hieroclis Grammatici Synecdemus”. Amsterdam.

Um post sobre as vias antigas do Algarve

Apesar de ser uma região fortemente romanizada, a rede viária do Algarve na antiguidade continua com várias questões em aberto. As diferentes propostas que têm sido aventadas, muitas vezes incompatíveis entre si, não permitem traçar um quadro geral da rede com segurança. O primeiro investigador que abordou o problema de forma científica foi Estácio da Veiga nos finais do século XIX, iniciando um conjunto de estudos com base na evidência arqueológica que ia compilando e publicando durante as suas prospecções no terreno. Ao propor em definitivo a localização de Balsa na área da actual Quinta de Torre de Aires (em vez de Tavira) e de Baesuris no povoado sidérico de Castro Marim (em vez de Ayamonte), Veiga veio esclarecer muitas das dúvidas que permaneciam sobre a localização destes aglomerados desde as propostas iniciais de André de Resende no século XVI (Veiga, 1886). Por sua vez, a localização Ossonoba em Faro só ficou definitivamente estabelecida em meados do século XX por Abel Viana, desfazendo outro equívoco de Resende que associara Ossonoba aos vestígios monumentais da villa de Milreu em Estoi (Resende, 1593: fl.189; Viana, 1952: 250-285).

Segundo o Itinerário de Antonino (IA, 425.6), estes três povoados portuários do litoral Algarvio estavam interligados por uma via, seguindo presumivelmente paralela à linha de costa (Veiga, 1886). No início do século XX foi identificado próximo de Bias do Sul (Olhão) o único miliário até hoje conhecido do Algarve (IRCP 660), achado que parecia confirmar um trajecto próximo do litoral.

Fotos  do miliário tombado aquando da sua descoberta, a sua reutilização numa nora de Bias, e detalhe da epígrafe com as letras realçadas (in Mascarenhas, 1967). 


O marco foi desenterrado a uma profundidade de 50 cm já tombado junto da «Canada de Bias», aparentemente in situ, sendo posteriormente reutilizado numa nora ali próximo. Fernandes Mascarenhas refere a existência junto ao marco de “vestígios de construções, tais como caboucos espessos e bocados de telha e tijolo muitíssimo grossos” (Mascarenhas, 1967: 3-11). Mascarenhas também propôs que as 10 milhas gravadas no marco indicavam a distância a Faro que ronda de facto esse valor. Deste então, generalidade dos investigadores fazem passar a via litoral por Bias (Mantas, 1990: 184, 1997; Silva, 2002, 2005 e 2007; Rodrigues, 2004; Maia, 2006). Actualmente este marco encontra-se em exposição no Museu de Olhão depois de ter passado pelo Museu Paroquial de Moncarapacho.

Apesar da aparente consistência dos dados disponíveis, na verdade não há qualquer evidência no terreno da passagem por Bias de uma via na direcção este-oeste, facto que Mascarenhas contorna fazendo passar a via pela actual N125 (Mascarenhas, 1967: 9). A ser assim, então a via teria de seguir a norte da villa da Quinta do Marim em direcção a Faro. No entanto, tudo indica que este percurso é moderno, dado que cruza diversos esteiros que no período romano penetravam bem para interior da costa, nomeadamente através do Ribeiro do Tronco e da Ribeira de Marim. Pelo contrário, tudo indica que o percurso antigo seria por Moncarapacho, continuando depois em direcção à Ponte Velha de Quelfes e daqui a Faro (ver itinerário).

Mas a ser assim, então o miliário de Bias não poderia assinalar essa via ao longo do litoral, mas uma outra via, mas qual? Para sul, temos o oceano, logo a via só poderia correr para norte, perpendicular à estrada para Faro. E de facto o miliário apareceu tombado junto de um caminho antigo designado por «Canada de Bias» que parte para norte e que ainda hoje é utilizado como caminho rural, seguindo na direcção de Moncarapacho e daqui por São Brás de Alportel até Querença, entroncando aqui no itinerário principal de Faro a Alcácer do Sal (Salacia). Por sua vez, esta via cruzava a serrania Algarvia rumo ao povoado pré-romano do Castro da Cola (Ourique), presumível localização de Arannis, estação viária a 60 milhas de Faro de acordo com o Itinerário XXI de Antonino.

A estrada de Bias a Querença passando por Moncarapcho, Pereiro, Mesquita e São Brás de Alportel

Muito próximo do local onde apareceu o miliário, existe uma encruzilhada de estradas junto da casa da Quinta do Neto que poderia ser o local original da sua implantação, dado que este local se encontra a cerca de 3 milhas de Moncarapacho. Nesta encruzilhada existe um bebedouro para animais e um poço em relação directa com a estrada, evidenciando o carácter viário deste local (fotos). Este acerto torna-se evidente logo na primeira milha que era vencida junto da Ermida de São Sebastião dos Matinhos (ou do Bitoito) em Belo Romão.

A partir de Moncarapacho, a via prosseguia o seu percurso para norte até próximo do Cerro do Moinho de Pereiro (m.p. VI), junto do qual inflectia para noroeste rumo a São Brás de Alportel, passando junto do Poço do Cavaleiro (m.p. VIII) e do casal romano de Desbarato, situado a 9 milhas de Bias. Este lugar é mencionado na “Crónica da Conquista do Algarve“, como sendo o local onde Dom Paio Peres Correia e os seus cavaleiros pernoitaram, aquando da sua incursão a Tavira (Agostinho, 1792), possivelmente junto da fonte referida num auto de 1595 “…no primçipio das terras do desbarato domde esta húa fonte por marquo.” (Vinagre, 2006: 53).

É interessante notar que o nome deste lugar, ‘desbarato’, pode ser, segundo alguns autores, uma derivação da palavra árabe ‘bis-barat’ (Silva, 2002: 76) com a qual podemos relacionar o enigmático topónimo de ‘Bias’. Por sua vez, o termo ‘barat‘ poderia ser ‘balat‘ no nome original que tem o significado genérico de ‘via’ ou ‘caminho calcetado’. Se assim for, então o topónimo ‘bis-balat’ poderia ser lido como ‘calçada de Bias’, ou seja, seria uma referência directa à via na sua passagem por Desbarato, mas não dispomos de outros dados que o confirmem.

De Desbarato a via seguia até à décima milha que era vencida no sítio do Cerro da Mesquita, sendo a estrada aparentemente referida num auto de 1595 como “caminho do Chamso a dar no Ribeiro da Mesquita […] e dahi vai a partisão pelo ribeiro da fonte da mesquita que he muito antiga” (Vinagre, 2006:55). Na área são conhecidos diversos casais romanos relacionáveis com esta paragem, mas não há sinais de qualquer povoado nas proximidades. Deste modo, é possível que esta estação esteja relacionada com algum lugar de culto, presumível antecessor da mesquita aparentemente denunciada pelo respectivo topónimo.

A via continuava por São Brás Alportel, passando ligeiramente a norte desta povoação pelo lugar de Campina, onde deveria existir nova estação viária a 12 milhas de Bias. Daqui partia um ramal de ligação a Faro passando por Estoi (também com 12 milhas), mas a via que estamos a descrever continuava mantinha a sua directriz noroeste, seguindo em direcção a Querença pelo caminho de Almarjão. Em Querença, entroncava na principal via que saía do Algarve para norte rumo a Alcácer do Sal, passando por Arannis, estação rodoviária mencionada no Itinerário 21 de Antonino, presumivelmente localizada no povoado pré-romano de Castro da Cola (Ourique).

A utilidade da ligação a Bias é mais bem compreendida quando analisamos o seu percurso no sentido inverso. Para quem chegava ao Algarve por Querença poderia rumar a Faro por Loulé ou seguir pela «Canada de Bias» até ao litoral, cruzando em Moncarapacho com a via litoral de Faro a Castro Marim, seguindo por Balsa e Tavira. A existência desta via de Querença rumo a Bias só poderia ser explicada assumindo a existência aí de um porto durante o período romano. Em 1841, João da Silva Lopes escrevia: “No sitio de Bias tem-se encontrado muitas sepulturas, todas com uma pedra na cabeceira, outra aos pés, e duas no meio” (Silva Lopes, 1841: 372). Também Fernando de Mascarenhas refere “o achado de imensos materiais de construção de tipo romano, muito próximo do mar” (Mascarenhas, 1967: 4). A cerca de 500 m da encruzilhada de Bias, existem ainda vestígios de uma torre quadrangular fortificada (designada por «Torre de Bias do Sul 2») que poderá estar relacionada com esta função portuária, apesar de a sua cronologia não recuar aparentemente para além do século XI.

A rede viária romana do Algarve entre Faro e Castro Marim (viasromanas.pt)

A ser assim, então o miliário assinalava a distância do porto de Bias à estação viária do Cerro da Mesquita, local que concorda com as 10 milhas indicadas. A importância desta estação decorre do facto se localizar exactamente a meio percurso desta via, dado que daqui a Querença são também 10 milhas, perfazendo um total de 20 milhas, módulo que aliás se repete na via de Castro Marim a Faro com um total 40 milhas, tendo Tavira como ponto intermédio, dado que se encontra a 20 milhas tanto de Faro como da margem direita do Guadiana junto a Castro Marim (e não Balsa, fundada apenas no século I). Esta surpreendente concordância nas distâncias entre etapas não pode ser uma mera coincidência, mas antes um acto deliberado de estruturar a rede com distâncias normalizadas.

Neste contexto, importa recuperar a velha discussão sobre a localização da Statio Sacra mencionada na obra geográfica do Anónimo de Ravena, aparentemente localizada por este autor entre Balsa e Ossonoba (Rav. IV.43). Em 1877 Estácio da Veiga propôs a sua localização na Quinta do Marim, hipótese muito disseminada, mas que sempre levantou muitas dúvidas entre investigadores (Veiga, 1887: 390-391; Mantas, 1997: 315). O nome sugere a existência de um local de culto ou santuário rural, mas em Marim apenas foi identificado um mausoléu privado relacionado com a villa romana que ali existia (Graen, 2007: 277). Por sua vez, Leite de Vasconcelos associou-a ao Promontorium Sacrum (actual Cabo de São Vicente), supondo que corresponderia aos vestígios do centro de produção de ânforas da Praia do Martinhal (Vasconcelos 1905:198); mais recentemente foi associada a Moncarapacho (Silva, 2002: 47) e à villa de Milreu (Mantas, 2008: 247), mas nenhuma destas proposta foi até hoje confirmada. Moncarapacho seria de facto um bom candidato dado que se trata de uma estação viária da via Ossonoba-Balsa, no entanto é difícil de explicar a razão do “Anónimo” mencionar uma estação tão próximo Balsa (apenas 6 milhas), sendo que esta estação não é mencionada no Itinerário de Antonino.

Perante estas incoerências nas fontes, é possível que a Statio Sacra não estivesse relacionada com a estrada Ossonoba-Balsa, mas com esta via de Bias a Querença. Com base nos dados actualmente disponíveis, não podemos excluir a sua localização em qualquer das respectivas estações (nomeadamente em Bias, Moncarapacho, Mesquita, Alportel ou Querença), mas o facto do miliário indicar 10 milhas não pode ser ignorado, sugerindo que existia algum lugar relevante a essa distânciaa de Bias.

A ser assim, então a Statio Sacra estaria a 10 milhas de BIas, ou seja, nas proximidades da Fonte da Mesquita, remetendo eventualmente para um santuário rural, mas para já não passa de uma mera hipótese de trabalho, até porque o inverso também é possível, ou seja, a palavra “statio” também designava um ‘pequeno porto’, viabilizando a sua localização em Bias do Sul. Por sua vez, o epíteto “sacra” poderá, neste contexto, ter o sentido de “imperial” (Tovar, 1976: 206), sugerindo uma consagração do lugar ao culto imperial. O contexto arqueológico aponta também nesse sentido, nomeadamente uma inscrição consagrada a Augusto por um administrador (‘dispensator’) da vizinha cidade de Balsa (IRCP 74), assim como o próprio marco de Bias que terá sido colocado durante a dinastia júlio-cláudia, ou seja, em algum momento entre 27 a.C. e 68 d.C. (Encarnação, 1984: 720). A fundação de Balsa neste período (possivelmente em resultado do progressivo assoreamento do porto Tavira, do qual dista apenas 6 km), poderá ter implicado também a reforma do sistema viário, das quais a statio sacra e o miliário fariam eco.

Porém, seja qual for a verdadeira localização da misteriosa Statio Sacra, a importância desta estrada de Bias a Querença no contexto viário romano (e anterior) parece inquestionável, permitindo solucionar muitas das incongruências observadas nas anteriores propostas que em geral fazem seguir a estrada Ossonoba-Balsa por Torre de Aires, Bias e Marim, enquanto consideram que a estrada proveniente de Querença seguia pelo Cerro da Mesquita directo a Tavira, o que não se verifica no terreno. Naturalmente que estas propostas têm fortes implicações no quadro geral da rede viária do Algarve, com os itinerários revistos disponíveis em www.viasromanas.pt e os respectivos traçados no Mapa de Vias disponível em www.viasromanas.pt/vr_map.html (a partir da versão 4.4).

Coordenadas dos pontos-chave desta rota:
Milha zero em Bias: 37.049608, -7.776432
Ermida de São Sebastião (m.p. I): 37.060587, -7.785435,
Desbarato (m.p. IX): 37.143647, -7.842630
Fonte da Mesquita: 37.146892,-7.854586
Cerro da Mesquita (m.p. X): 37.149943,-7.855184

Bibliografia:
AGOSTINHO, Frei Joaquim de Santo (1792) – “Sobre huma chronica inédita da conquista do Algarve”, Memórias de Litteratura Portuguesa, Real Academia das Ciências, Lisboa, Tomo I, p.74-97.
ANÓNIMO DE RAVENA (7 d.C.) – “Ravennatis Anonymi Cosmographia et Guidonis Geographica”. Berlin: M. Pinder / G. Parthey (1860).
ENCARNAÇÃO, José d’ (1984) – “Inscrições Romanas do Conventus Pacensis: subsídios para o estudo da romanização (IRCP)”. Coimbra: Universidade.
GRAEN (2007), Dennis – “O sítio da Quinta de Marim (Olhão) na época tardo-romana e o problema da localização da Statio Sacra”. In RPA 10, 1, 275-288.
MAIA, M. (2006) – “De Baesuris a Pax Ivlia por Aranis”. São Brás de Alportel: Actas das I Jornadas «As Vias do Algarve», 46-53.
MANTAS, Vasco G. (1990) – “As cidades marítimas da Lusitânia”. Paris: CNRS (Coll. Maison des Pays Ibériques; 42), p. 149-205.
MANTAS, Vasco G. (1997) – “As civitates: Esboço da geografia política e económica do Algarve romano”, in Noventa séculos entre aserra e o mar, Lisboa, 283-309.
MANTAS, Vasco G. (2008) – “A rede viária romana em Portugal: estado da questao e perspectivas futuras”. Anas, 21-22, 2008-2009, 245-272.
MASCARENHAS, J. Fernandes (1967) – “De Ossónoba a Balsa”. Col. Por Terras do Algarve – Tavira: Ed. Autor, 7-25.
RODRIGUES, Sandra (2004) – “As Vias Romanas do Algarve”. Faro: CUP-UAlg/CCRA.
RESENDE, André de (1593) – “As Antiguidades da Lusitânia”. Lisboa: Edição «Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian», 1996. Introdução, tradução e comentário de R. M. Rosado Fernandes.
SILVA, L. Fraga da (2002) – “A região de São Brás de Alportel na Antiguidade”. Tavira: Campo Arqueológico de Tavira.
SILVA LOPES, J. B. da (1841) – “Corografia ou Memória económica, estadística e topográfica do Reino do Algarve”. Lisboa: Academia Real das Ciências.
TOVAR, Antonio (1976) – “Iberische Landeskunde – Die Völker und die Städte des antiken Hispanien”, Part II, Vol. 2. Lusitanie. Baden-Baden.
VASCONCELOS, J. Leite de (1905) – “Religiões da Lusitânia”. Vol.pro 2. Lisboa: INCM (reed. de 1989).
VEIGA, Estácio da (1866) – “Povos Balsenses: sua situação geographico-physica indicada por dous monumentos romanos recentemente descobertos na Quinta da Torre d’Ares…”. Lisboa: Livraria Catholica.
VEIGA, Estácio da (1887) – “Antiguidades monumentais do Algarve Tempos prehistóricos”. Lisboa: Imprensa Nacional, Vol. 2.
VIANA, Abel (1952) – “Ossónoba. O problema da sua localização”, Revista de Guimarães 42, 250-285.
VINAGRE, Augusto et al. (2008) – “Toponímia de S. Brás de Alportel”. Trabalho com alunos da Escola EB2,3 de S. Brás de Alportel in “dos Algarves”, 17, 52-58.
WESSELING, Petrus (1735) – “Vetera Romanorum Itineraria, sive Antonini Augusti Itinerarium, Itinerarium Hierosolymitanum, et Hieroclis Grammatici Synecdemus”. Amsterdam.