Category Archives: Articles

Ponte do Douro: um projecto falhado

Em 1179, o primeiro rei de Portugal, Dom Afonso Henriques estipulou a entrega de “300 modios morabitinos para a ponti Dorii”, lançando o projecto de construção de uma ponte sobre o rio Douro. Os restos dessa ponte eram ainda visíveis no século XVI quando Rui Fernandes elabora o seu manuscrito intitulado “Descrição do terreno ao redor de Lamego duas léguas [ 1531-1532 ]“, actualmente na Biblioteca Municipal do Porto, onde se lê:

Item entre esta barca do Bernaldo, e a de Porto de Rey estão huns fermozos peares de hua ponte que a Rainha Donna Mafalda dizem que mandava fazer os quais sam dois no meyo do Douro de muito grande altura, e mui largo fundamento, que os dous que estão no rio, neste mes de Mayo hirão bem dez palmos descobertos, e no Verão hirão bem vinte palmos e mais, e estão outros dous de fora hum da parte daquem, e outro da parte dalem. Estes poyares foram já de dobrada altura, e os derribarão, e fizerão delles pesqueiras” (ms. 547, fl. 9).

Estes “peares”, ou seja os pilares da antiga ponte estavam portanto ainda bem visíveis no seu tempo, embora já muito derrubados: “O arco da parte daquem volvia já. Esta hi muita pedra quebrada polo monte, que ficou quebrada, e acharão ainda polos montes muitas marras, e cunhas, e lavancas, que por hi ficarão” (fl. 9).

Apela também para que se lance impostos sobre as povoações vizinhas de modo a concluir a obra, “porque a mor parte hé feito” e porque ainda existia ali muita “pedra quebrada” pronta a usar na finalização da obra:

El Rey nosso senhor podia mui bem mandar fazer esta meya ponte que esta por fazer com deitar des reis a cada morador vinte legoas arredor, e em seis, ou sete annos, ou em menos se podia fazer sem opressão, e seria hua couza mui nobre” (fl. 9).

No entanto, a obra jamais sería concluída e o que resta desses pilares ficou submerso após a construção da barragem do Carrapatelo em 1972, mas há relatos dessa época onde se referem os restos de um dos pilares no leito do rio (Resende. 2014: 423).

Apesar disso, temos informações precisas do autor quinhentista sobre a sua localização ao escrever que “esta obra esta abaixo de hum lugar, que chamão Barqueiros aliás que chamão Barrô” (fl. 9v), a cerca de 18 km de Porto Manso (“des os Peares ate Porto Manço que são tres legoas“, fl. 10), o que permite estimar a sua localização aproximada no meandro do rio entre Barqueiros e Barrô, onde a proximidade entre margens é menor (ver imagem).

Localização aproximada da Ponte de Dona Mafalda, entre Barqueiros e Barrô, a montante da Barca de Porto de Rei (sobre imagem Google Earth)

Apesar de Rui Fernandes aludir à lenda da morte do filho da rainha neste mesmo local para justificar o abandono da sua construção, não podemos excluir a hipótese de a mesma ter sido finalizada e que a sua destruição seja posterior, eventualmente devido a uma cheia do rio, até por que o local escolhido não parece ser o mais indicado para a construção de uma ponte, sendo o Douro um rio tão tumultuoso, e menos ainda os acessos à ponte que teriam de vencer as íngremes arribas desde local.

No seu “Elucidário…”, o frei Rosa Viterbo parece seguir esta linha ao referir documentos do Mosteiro de Salzedas do 1205 contendo o testamento de Dona Sancha Bermudes onde diz que esta tinha uma herdade “à Ponte do Douro”, assim como em outro documento de 1216, onde faz a doação ao Mosteiro de Paço de Sousa do tudo o que detinha em Barrô e “junto da Ponte do Douro” (Viterbo, 1799: 227). Deste modo, é possível que a ponte estivesse operacional nesse período, como sugere Viterbo, servindo como alternativa à travessia do Douro em Porto de Rei da estrada que ligava Marco de Canaveses a Lamego (ver https://viasromanas.pt/index.html#porto_de_rei_lamego).

A via de Porto de Rei a Lamego (verde) e a variante pela Ponte de Dona Mafalda (azul)

Certo é que o sonho de construir uma ponte sobre o rio Douro acabou em ruína e até ao século XIX todas as travessias do rio foram asseguradas por barcas de passagem. A ponte medieval do Douro foi um projecto falhado cujas implicações fizeram-se sentir por muitos e longos anos, e ainda hoje não existe qualquer ponte a ligar as duas margens no trecho entre a Régua e Resende, e mesmo a Ponte da Ermida, junto a esta última povoação, apenas foi inaugurada quando decorria já o ano de 1998!

______________________

Bibliografia
FERNANDES, Rui (1531-1532) – “Descrição do terreno ao redor de Lamego duas léguas [ 1531-1532 ]“. Caleidoscopio, Ed. Amândio Barros (2012).
RESENDE, Nuno (2008) – “Ponte da Veiga: Lousada“. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico, 2014. Vol. 2, 419-431.
VITERBO, Frei Joaquim de Santa Rosa de (1799) – “Elucidário das Palavras Termos e Frases”(…). Lisboa: Typographia Regia Silviana (1º Edição), vol. 2.


Colóquio Viário do Marão

Povoamento e vias de comunicação ao longo da tempo

No passado dia 17 de Outubro 2020 realizou-se um colóquio sobre a viação romana na Serra do Marão que decorreu no Auditório da Casa do Povo da Campeã (Vila Real). O evento, organizado pela Junta de Freguesia da Campeã e o Instituto Politécnico de Bragança, contou com a participação de sete investigadores que apresentaram diversas perspectivas sobre a antiga rede viária que percorria esta região. Ver programa do evento aqui.  

O evento está disponível online através da plataforma YouTube no seguinte endereço – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVntayn6wpU&t=9209s

Calçada do Arco
Arco Memorial (Medieval) junto da calçada
Visita à Via romana do Arco

Mais fotos do evento aqui

The archaeological collection of the Bética Hotel (Pias)

For many years Mr. Victor Hugo, founder and owner of Hotel Bética in Pias, was the
faithful keeper of the many archaeological materials that kept being found around the village.
We owe him the preservation of this objects that otherwise will lost or sell for the best price.
This interesting collection can be seen on the hotel lobby, namely coins, tegula, loom weights, glandes, rings, a small bronze figurine of a goat, and three inscriptions. Unfortunately, we don’t know the exact provenance of these findings as Mr Hugo couldn’t finalize the inventory of the collection due to his sudden death. Only his incredible collection of more than 200 Roman coins were subjected to a preliminary study in 2017 by Marco Paulo Valente but the work didn’t have any continuation.

Some of the archaeological materials on display at the hotel lobby

The collection includes also three stones apparently with the same inscription found close to the village :
SCLA / DMA.

We are tempted to associate these inscriptions to 5 ‘dolia‘ stamps connected to the high-medieval period found in the region containing the following inscription: «Eclesiae Sanctae Mariae Lacaltensis Agripi» (Canto, 1997; Wolfram, 2011). Thus the inscription could be read with some reserve as S(an)c(ta) La(caltense) D(ea) M(ariae) A(gripi). In this context, the stones could be landmarks delimiting the territory of the Lacaltenses. Curiously, in the Museum of Moura there’s a Roman inscription (a statue pedestal) dedicated to Iulia Agripa by the civitas Aruccitana (CIL II 963). Could they be related?

Bibliography:
Canto, Alicia M. (1997)- “Epigrafía Romana de la Beturia Céltica”. Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
Valente, Marco P. (2017) – “Circulação monetária na Freguesia de Pias (Concelho de Serpa, Distrito de Beja). Quando Roma era Império”. in «Scientia Antiquitatis», vol. 1, nr. 2.
Wolfram, Mélanie (2011) – “Uma síntese sobre a cristianização do mundo rural no sul da Lusitânia”. FLUL – PhD Thesis.

Coordinates: 38.022248, -7.480839

Road construction on Roman times

(Originally published on August 22, 2014)

In an article published in 2009 – “Costruire strade in epoca romana: tecniche e morphologie. Il caso dell´Italia settentrionale ”, Michele Matteazzi of the Department of Archaeology at the University of Padua reviews the constructive panorama of the Roman roads in northern Italy, presenting the various techniques and morphologies identified during the archaeological excavations carried out in the region during the last century. This excellent compilation highlights on the one hand the wide variety of constructive techniques used by Roman engineering to overcome difficulties and on the other hand rebounds the great misconception that has plagued virtually all Roman road studies to date: the assumption that all the Roman roads were paved with great slabs of stone; This misconception originated in 1622 when Nicolas Bergier published his seminal work L’Histoire des Grandes Chemins de l’Empire Romain, when he (wrongly) considered a passage from Vitruvius that spoke of paving housing structures as a reference to the technique of road construction, proposing for the roads a stratigraphic sequence that became canonical, composed of statumen, rudus and nucleus; its persistence to this day is also linked to the little attention given to Roman road technique until very recently, as the traces have always pointed in another direction, ie the use of various construction processes and a wide variety of materials (often obtained in the vicinity of the work) arranged in successive layers which allowed a simpler and faster construction without losing its road efficiency. Given the importance that the article may have in the study of the road network in Portugal, I decided (with the proper permission of the author to whom I thank) to make its translation available in Portuguese. The article can be read in the Italian or Portuguese version.

Roman tech – Modern uses

(Originally published on October July 15, 2010)


Mapungubwe National Park Interpretive Centre, Peter Rich Architects, (2008), a) interior view, b) under construction (Photo: James Bellamy).  

The construction of the Mapungubwe National Park Interpretive Centre in South Africa was inspired by ancient Roman construction techniques such as the arched ceiling structure and the use of local materials for a new model of subtlety. The project, designed by John Ochsendorf, a professor of civil engineering and architecture at MIT, and built between 2007 and 2010, aims to demonstrate that it is possible to build modern buildings using inexpensive materials near the construction site (one of the rules). to minimize costs and reduce construction time), thereby significantly reducing energy consumption and pollution associated with construction projects. A time-lapse video about this building could be watched here.

Wine production with Roman vessels

(Originally published on January 5, 2010)

French cellar using Roman-style vessels

TIME magazine has just published an interesting article about the recent use of the Roman amphora model in the production of high quality wines. Once again the validity of Roman technology is recognized for achieving excellence while ensuring the sustainability of the solution both in terms of energy and the materials used. The recent massification of the use of stainless steel vats has created some problems in the quality of the wines obtained namely in the production of Port Wine, forcing the use of micro-oxygenation and others processes to improve the bouquet, body and other characteristics of wines. In contrast, the porosity of the Roman vessels provide a natural micro-oxygenation without energy consumption. Another important advantage is the oval shape of the vessels that allows the formation of a vortex during fermentation which are attenuated by the angles of the traditional vats; the vortex can rotate for weeks facilitating the natural lifting of the sludge.
Read original story here.

Roman Roads of Beja in 1938

(Originally published on May 21, 2007)

Mr. Manuel Geada kindly send me an interesting article from the newspaper “Diário do Alentejo” from 13th August 1938 with a brief description of the route linking Évora to Beja. The other route also mentioned linking Beja to the Algarve in fact doesn’t exist and is just a misinterpretation of Anthony’s Itinerary (Via XXI). See article here.

vide route here – https://viasromanas.pt/#evora_beja